A Guide to Natural & Solid Shampoo Bars
Read our guide to the natural and low waste solid shampoo options available at The Kind Store and how you can avoid the transition phase altogether. You can jump to the end if you want a quick buyers guide.
Until recently, switching from liquid shampoo to a plastic free and natural shampoo bars meant going through a transition phase where your hair recovers from harsh foaming agents, parabens and synthetics and adapts to natural ingredients. The transition phase resulted in sticky and gunky hair for weeks or even months (apple cider vinegar, also known as ACV rinse, or baking soda would help to a point), and if you're in a hard water area, forever!
Did you know, many shampoo bars are actually just soap with a pH level of around 9-10. Whereas, your skin, scalp and hair are slightly acidic, in the range of 4.75 – 5.5 pH so you want a shampoo bar to match your hair. Those 'shampoo bars' that leave your hair sticky are in fact just soap, can be too harsh and drying - particularly if you live in hard water, leaving your hair dull, sticky and rough.
Yet, our range of tried and tested natural and plastic free shampoo skip the transition phase so you have clean and shiny hair after one use, no matter your hair types, the natural way.
Why natural shampoo?
Mainstream shampoo can often strip important nutrients and natural oils from your hair as well as irritate the scalp. Over time, harsh foaming agents and synthetics can leave you with dull, lifeless hair which has been stripped of its natural gloss and sheen. Natural shampoos, both liquid and solid shampoo can help revive, strengthen and replenish dry, frizzy, damaged or coloured hair, with different options available based on the needs of each hair types.
Why plastic free shampoo?
A solid shampoo bar or shampoo powder cut out the need for shampoo bottles. They're also convenient for travelling! Additionally, most shampoos are 80-percent water resulting in higher transport costs and emissions. Solid shampoo bars are mega concentrated and last longer than bottled versions. On average, a shampoo bar will outlast two to three bottles of liquid shampoo, meaning you save money too!
All of our shampoos are palm oil free. Top tip: For a thorough clean, make sure the shampoo foams up on all parts of your hair including the ends. Massage into your scalp for a deep clean!
Shampoo bars are a zero waste shampoo dream. They pack a cleaning punch and are the most cost effective way of washing your hair. Plus being in solid bar form, they are great for travelling. We stock the following brands:
- Lamazuna shampoo bars are small but mighty. They don't foam up so much but that doesn't mean they don't clean your hair though. They have various scents to take your fancy and cover normal, dry and oily hair. They are a great all rounder for most hair types and one of the most cost effective.
- Size: 40g
- Price: £10
- Number of washes: 50 washes
- Price per wash: £0.20
- Opt for: A general all rounder for a variety of hair types in various scents. A little harder to foam up so they take longer to use.
- Kind2 – At 80g, they are our largest bar and last the longest at 60 washes. They have two options, one for coloured hair and one for a sensitive scalp.
- Size: 80g
- Price: £12.50
- Number of washes: 60
- Preice per wash: £0.20
- Opt for: If you have either a sensitive scalp or coloured hair.
- Zero Waste Path – The ultimate quick and nourishing shampoo and are by far the foamiest shampoo. With options for fine hair, curly hair, itchy scalp and normal, they cover most bases and they are formulated as 2in1 so you won't *need* conditioner either. I personally will use a conditioner just to make sure my hair is in tip top condition.
- Size: 70g
- Price: £7.50
- Number of washes: 40
- Price per wash: £0.18
- Opt for: If you want a quick wash, travelling without a separate conditioner, have a specific hair type, shopping based on cost per wash.
We love powdered shampoo as they are super light-weight and created completely water free which is a massive sustainability credential. You simply add water at home to create a paste and apply to your wet hair. They lather up really well.
- Beauty Kubes – One kube is good for medium length hair so depending on your hair length, you may need more or less. They are great for travelling as you can take just the number of kubes you need. The entire Beauty Kubes range smells amazing and they have options for Men (Shampoo and Body Wash combined), Unisex and Body Wash too. The kubes have also had good reviews from parents with kids as they are fun to crush and you can use just half a kube for kids hair. Simply crush the cube in your hand, add a splash (approx. 1tsp) of water, mix together in your palms to form a paste then rub over your head. You may need to add a splash more water to your hair to spread the paste around.
- Size: 100g
- Price: £9.50
- Number of washes: 27 for medium length hair
- Price per wash: £0.35
- Opt for: All-rounder shampoo, amazing smell, water free formula and great for travelling particularly the shampoo and body wash kubes.
- Awake Organics – Effectively a Beauty Kube pre-crushed (or rather, not formed into a kube in the first place). The shampoo powder comes in an aluminium bottle (much better than glass as lighter) and all ingredients are organic too. With Rosemary and caffeine, this shampoo is great for weak, colour treated and thinning hair and is our most caring shampoo. Because the shampoo is in powder form you do need to be careful not to pour too much out or get water inside the bottle however it doesn’t take any longer than crushing a beauty kube in regard to preparation. What I love with the bottled powder is that I’ll need much less powder than a kube to clean my hair and I’ll do it once for my crown and then another batch for the ends so I can get a much better clean on the ends and this a great option for longer hair. Pour 1tsp into your hand, add the tiniest splash of water to form a paste. This is a much thinner paste than the beauty kubes but it really foams up.
- Size: 50g
- Price: £13
- Number of washes = 35 (to clarify I split one wash into two halves of my head)
- Price per wash: £0.35
- Opt for: 100% organic ingredients, water free, great for longer hair and our most caring shampoo for specifically weak, coloured or thinning hair.
You can shop our entire hair range here.
Why not liquid?
We have tested many liquid shampoo made from completely natural ingredients to 90-95% natural ingredients any many 100% natural still leave you with that sticky feeling in your hair. We have finally found Fulfilled Revitalising Shampoo and Ksoni Rejuvenating Shampoo that are made from 100% natural plant derived ingredients for those of you looking for a liquid option, and they are both packaged in lightweight aluminium.
Quick buyers guide
Best shampoo based on hair type
- Frizzy/Curly Hair: Zero Waste Path Dry & Curly Hair or Beauty Kubes Unisex Shampoo and Bodywash.
- Coloured Hair: Awake Organics or KIND2 The Hydrating One.
- Sensitive Scalp: Zero Waste Path Itchy Scalp or KIND2 The Sensitive One.
- Dry hair: Lamazuna Coconut & Vanilla/ Orange or Zero Waste Path Dry & Curly.
- Oily Hair: Beauty Kubes Oily, Zero Waste Path Oily & Fine Hair or Lamazuna Wild Herbs/Lemon.
- Damaged Hair: Awake Organics
- Normal Hair: Zero Waste Path Normal, Beauty Kubes Normal or Lamazuna Orange/Scotch Pine.
- Mens: Beauty Kubes Men Hair and Bodywash or any other based on hair type above.
Best shampoo based on other
- Short Hair: Any shampoo bar
- Long Hair: Awake Organics
- Quick: Any 2in1 Shampoo by Zero Waste Path
- Water Free: Beauty Kubes or Awake Organics
- Organic: Awake Organics
- Travel: Beauty Kubes Unisex Hair & Bodywash or Zero Waste Path
- Foamiest: Zero Waste Path
- Cost per wash: Zero Waste Path
Looking for a Conditioner too?
Our shampoos can be used without a conditioner however after around three months of no conditioner, your hair tends to feel dry so I personally advise to use a conditioner and/or hair oil. Hair oils are amazing for dry/curly hair...we'll write another blog post about that soon!
We stock a handful of amazing plastic free and natural conditioners available and you only need to use them sparingly.
- Wild Sage & Co Lavender & Geranium Conditioner with Broccoli Seed Oil – Our best selling conditioner; a little goes a long way. This conditioner is the strongest and long lasting smelling conditioner we have ever smelt. You only need a teaspoon amount and it glides over your hair. Just be warned that it's best to wash out with cold water otherwise it tends to stick to your hair.
- KIND2 conditioner bar - Our best all-round conditioner bar. It glides on your hair really easily and each bar lasts 80 washes!!
- Beauty Kubes Conditioning Mask - Despite being called a mask, you can use the conditioning kubes similarly to the shampoo kubes. Just leave in the ends of your hair for a couple of minutes and wash out.
- Ben & Boy Spearmint & Rosemary Conditioner Soap Bar - This bar is more of a traditional soap bar so if you live in a hard water area, you may need to use an ACV rinse afterwards. The bar does contain ACV itself so for most it works on it's own fine and is great for travelling as you can use it on your body too!
I hope the above helps and don't forget, you can always get in touch if you have any more questions by email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do purchase one of our shampoos, we'd also love to hear how you get on and don't forget to leave a review when asked by email. Reviews help us so much to spread the word about the amazing plastic free and cruelty free alternatives available.
Founder of The Kind Store