With each wash, countless plastic fibers from synthetic textiles are making their way from washing machines into rivers and oceans. The Guppyfriend washing bag is a patented solution, that filters out the tiniest microfibers released from textiles during washing. The self-cleaning fabric bag is made of a specially designed micro-filter material. Simply collect the fibers and dispose them of properly.
- Scientifically approved solution against microplastic pollution from washing.
- It reduces fiber shedding and protects your clothes.
- It filters the few fibers that do break and doesn’t lose any fibers itself.
- It’s a daily reminder to change our buying habits and washing rituals.
- Size: 50×74 cm / 19.7×29.1 inches
How it works
- Put synthetic textiles into the Guppyfriend. Do not overfill and separate colors.
- Close the Guppyfriend and wash as usual.
- Take out wet textiles after washing.
- Remove the released microfibers from hems inside of Guppyfriend and dispose properly.
The Guppyfriend washing bag is only a first step towards a holistic solution to microfiber pollution. Not more. Not less. Our overconsumption needs to change radically, and new materials, manufacturing techniques, clean washing machines and more effective sewage treatment plants need to be developed. This might take a while. Until then your Guppyfriend washing bag is a practical and effective way to reduce plastic pollution in our rivers and oceans.
- Apart from the zipper the bag is entirely made of Polyamide 6.6. The material is untreated, undyed, and does not contain any additives. It’s pure and can even be used in a medical context. Recycled material doesn´t work (yet) for this kind of high-tech mesh. But the washing bag is designed in such a way that it can easily be recycled with identical materials at the end of its lifecycle: The whole bag – except the zipper – is made of a single material. For the recycling process of your broken Guppyfriend Washing Bag we recommend that you use it for local recycling. Separate the cover with the zipper from the fabric.
- Fill up to ⅔ – the textiles need to move inside the bag
- Wash the filled washing bag together with lose textiles
- Wash max. at 40 ° C / 104° F/ warm
- Use detergents without plastic liquids. For example abrasives, binding and film-forming agents, rubber and silicones, opacifiers, acrylates and cross-polymers
- Remove coarse dirt and animal hair before washing
- Do not rinse under running water
- Avoid sharp items
- Do not iron- the wrinkled surface is not a problem
- Do not use tumble dry
- Do not dry in direct sunlight
- Always slide the zipper into the designated “garage” at the end of the zipper
Every textile loses microfibers, but it is the synthetic materials (polyester, acrylic, nylon, etc.) that shed the harmful fibers. Most apparel contains synthetic fibers to some degree (unfortunately, sometimes it is not stated on the label).
You can also put pure cotton inside the bag. Textiles from natural materials also lose fibers. The bag reduces fiber breakage, thus protects your garments and reduces wear and tear. You’ll enjoy your clothes for much longer – another sustainability benefit of the Guppfriend Washing Bag.