This fresh and airy organic cotton towel, available in soft muted colours in a beautiful stripe design is an ultimate multi-tasker. Perfect for beach holidays as it doesn’t trap sand, it’s also extremely lightweight, compact, absorbent and quick drying making it a perfect for travelling, yoga, a picnic, sarong or as a blanket.
- Being lightweight means it reduces emissions during product transportation.
- Made using only 100% GOTS Certified Organic Cotton, dyes and finishes
- Ethically sourced 95cm x 164cm
- 100% GOTS Certified (Global Organic Textile Standard)
- Organic Cotton Handmade in Turkey (one of the world's leading organic cotton producers)
- Arrives to you with an unbleached card wrap
Made by Kin and Kloth, all towels are slowly hand-woven on traditional wooden shuttle looms by Turkish Artisans and made using only 100% GOTS Certified Organic Cotton, dyes and finishes. What makes our towels so special when compared to mass produced, chemically treated, factory imitation hammam towels are the gentle techniques used in our artisans weaving process. This coupled with the superior quality of the yarns ensures these towels will never smell musty, will stay perfectly soft and look beautiful for years even decades to come. With every purchase you can help us to protect the dying art of traditional hand weaving methods in Turkey whilst supporting a livelihood for our artisans and their families.
Organic Cotton Turkey is one of the pioneers in organic, and has been growing and manufacturing organic cotton products for nearly 30 years. Turkey’s textilesustainability movement is growing fast; the number of GOTS, OE and OCS certifiedcompanies is steadily rising. The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is recognised as the world's leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibres. It defines high-level environmental criteria along the entire organic textiles supply chain and requires compliance with social criteria as well. Conventional cotton production uses around 11,000 litres of water for every kilogram of cotton produced. As it takes around 450g of cotton to make the average t-shirt which means a highly water-intensive 5000 litres per garment! Organic cotton instead is grown with 80% of rainwater. Cotton is grown on 4% of the worlds arable soil. Annually 24% of all insecticides, and 11% of all pesticides used in the world are used on just one crop: cotton. It is estimated that less than 10% of the chemicals applied to cotton fields are actually doing their jobs. The rest goes into the air, soil, and water around the fields, harming or killing wildlife and farm workers, and severely affecting the ecology of the surrounding areas. Organic Cotton vs Conventional Cotton Eliminates hazardous pesticides Gives power to farmers not GM companies Helps farmers feed their families and local community Saves precious water and combats climate change Protects your skin from harmful chemicals
Check out more here
- http://www.cottonedon.org/ – the organic cotton initiative
- Soil Association – campaigning for organic food and farming and sustainable forestry http://www.soilassociation.org/
- Global Organic Textiles Standard http://www.global-standard.org/
- Pesticide Action Network http://www.pan-uk.org/Labour
- Behind the Label http://www.labourbehindthelabel.org/