What Is Oxygen Bleach And How To Use It
Oxygen bleach, also known as percabonate of soda, is a natural, safe and gentle alternative to chlorine bleach that is also biodegradable. It removes stains, brightens your whites and deodorises your laundry and textiles.
It is a natural disinfectant and stain remover and replaces all "Oxy" products. The ingredients are derived from raw materials (salt, water and chalk). It's an excellent natural bleaching agent (oxygen bleach), stain solver, softens water and tremendously increases the efficiency of cleaning products. It is perfect when paired with soap nuts or washing detergent. Great for cleaning and maintaining wood outdoors, cleaning of tile joints, lichens and soilings.
What is the difference between bleach and oxygen bleach?
The main difference between oxygen bleach and chlorine bleach is that oxygen bleach contains sodium percarbonate as the active agent whereas chlorine bleach contains sodium hypochlorite as the active agent. Also, oxygen bleach is an all-fabric bleach that is colour-safe whereas, chlorine bleach can remove the colour of the clothes.
Does oxygen bleach work?
Yes, oxygen bleach works and is not only much safer than chlorine bleach but it also has more benefits than chemical and toxic chlorine bleach.
How does oxygen bleach work?
Oxygen bleaches active ingredient is sodium percarbonate. When sodium percarbonate contacts water, it breaks down into sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide.
When added to water at temperatures over 40°C, it releases oxygen which acts as a powerful stain remover and disinfectant. Tackles even the most stubborn of stains, such as tea, coffee, red wine, fruits, grease, blood. It so said to be one of the most environmentally safe cleaning agents, because of the lack of harmful chemicals.
The hydrogen peroxide becomes the active oxidizing agent, breaking down and removing stains. Hydrogen peroxide is a colour-safe stain remover. It breaks up the colourful chemical bonds of a stain, making it invisible so that your clothes look as good as new.
Benefits and uses of oxygen bleach
Sodium Percarbonate is used to de-stain, deodorize, and whiten. It is very effective as a laundry pre-soak for heavily stained articles.
- Place inside the washing machine drum to boost your laundry detergent. 1 tablespoon for 4-5kg of laundry or 2 tablespoons for tougher stains.
- You can apply directly to stains, diluting the product a little in water.
- To whiten and deodorize cloth nappies add 3 tablespoons of Sodium Percarbonate into the soak cycle. Soak in hot water for at least 30 minutes, or overnight, then complete wash cycle.
- For whitening old linens, deodorizing and cleaning trainers, or to get rid of yellow armpit stains on shirts: soak in 2 tablespoons of Sodium Percarbonate per 4L of water for at least one hour, or overnight, then rinse.
Percarbonate of Soda is a must-have for slow fashion followers! It's colour and fabric safe. It brightens colours and continual use will not cause yellowing or greying of cotton fabric. An excellent effective stain remover in a broad range of water temperatures. It prevents fabric from becoming yellowed or darkened and does not weaken the strength of fabrics like chlorine bleach. Lengthens time between linen replacement particularly.
Sodium Percarbonate solutions will remain active for 5 to 6 hours, after which they should be discarded. Unused material may be poured down the drain. It will actually help clean and deodorize your sink or toilet. Sodium percarbonate solutions are most effective when mixed and used in warm to hot solution (40-65F).
- General Cleaning: Mix 2 tablespoons of percarbonate in 1L warm or hot water.
- Heavy Cleaning: Mix 4 tablespoons of Percarbonate in 1L warm or hot water.
- Soaks: Mix 6-8 tablespoons of Percarbonate in 1L hot water.
- Paste: Mix 1 to 2 ounces of Percarbonate with just enough water to make a paste.
- Fences: Combine ¼ scoop of oxygen bleach with four cups of water. Increase the quantities depending on the size of your fence. Dissolve thoroughly. Use a garden hose to spray your fence until it’s wet. Use a paintbrush to generously apply the oxygen bleach solution to your fence. Go section by section. Once a section is complete, wait five minutes for the solution to set in. If there is a lot of mold or mildew, you can wait up to 15 minutes. Spray the fence again using your garden hose. Use a scrubbing brush to remove any mould or mildew that has been loosened. Spray the section again using the hose. Repeat for every section of the fence.
- Cleaning tools like mop heads and scrubbing brushes: Mix ¼ scoop of oxygen bleach and hot water in a bucket and soak your tools in it for 15 minutes.
- Clean grout: Mix three tablespoons of oxygen bleach with two gallons of warm water in a bucket. Use a cloth or sponge to apply the solution to grout lines. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with clean water.
- Cloth diapers: Oxygen bleach is gentle but effective on cloth diapers. Add the oxygen bleach to your machine for every wash. For tougher stains, soak the cloth diapers in a mix of four tablespoons of oxygen bleach and warm water for one to six hours.
- Clean your trash cans: Trash cans get really yucky. Mix one cup of oxygen bleach with a gallon of water. Use a cloth or scrub brush to soak up the solution and then apply it to your garbage can. You could also pour it right into the garbage can and let it soak for a few minutes. Scrub well and rinse with clean water.
- Remove labels from jars: Fill your sink with hot water and add a scoop of oxygen bleach. Mix thoroughly before soaking the jars in the solution for an hour. When you return, the labels should be released and are maybe even floating in the water. If not, use a cloth to loosen them from the glass.
- Clean the deck and patio: Make a solution of oxygen bleach using one tablespoon per cup of water. Pour it into a spray bottle. Soak the patio or deck with the solution and let it stand for 30 minutes without letting it dry. If it begins to dry, add more solution. Scrub with a brush and rinse with clean water.
- Clean your fridge: Empty the food from your fridge first. Mix together a cup of water per tablespoon of oxygen bleach. Use a cloth to apply the solution to your fridge to remove mould, mildew, and other stains. Soak for 10 minutes, then wipe clean.
Shop Oxygen Bleach
Oxygen Bleach 750g, £5.99
The Kind Store team try and test all products that we stock, so you can be certain that what you are buying is high quality, works well and loved by us. We source all products using our ethos via our sustainable principles, so you can trust that what you are buying is kind to animals, people and planet. We stock items from UK independent makers and suppliers to ensure our products are eco-friendly. Discover hundreds of vegan, natural, sustainable and cruelty-free products.