We Are Closing Down!
A fond farewell to everyone who has supported us and followed our journey over the past four years..
Announcement dated 06 April 2022: We will be closing on 30 April and therefore every product is now in our final sale. Our final sale will go live at 7am on Wednesday 06 April.
A message from our founder, Tash
This is an announcement I was hoping I could avoid, however we are unfortunately going to be closing down The Kind Store for good after four years. Why? Quite simply, we do not have the order volumes to sustain us and to operate as a successful business. It is with a heavy heart I make this announcement as I feel we have truly created a brand that speaks to many and has made a name in the eco e-commerce world. We do have so many loyal customers and it is so disappointing to have made it this far and quit, but without significant investment in both time and money (which we do not have), plus the specialist know-how, we cannot grow to the size we need to be, to become viable long-term.
The past few years have certainly been a bit of a rollercoaster with our sales peaking during the lockdowns, but, since struggling with increasing costs across the whole business and a huge increase in competition as many large businesses and corporations expand into eco and vegan products (some ethically and others greenwashing, but that's a whole other story), who we cannot compete with.
On a personal note, I have recently had a baby and will be returning to work full-time later in the year and cannot continue to juggle everything, especially when this business is not succeeding.
Having started The Kind Store four years ago as a passion project to help others shop more sustainably, I am really disappointed that it hasn't worked out, but with no online retail experience beforehand, I think we have done pretty well to make it this far and in this time, I believe we have made an impact and helped so many people. I therefore want to take this opportunity to say a few thank yous...
To our customers We are really sorry to disappoint our long-standing and loyal customers who have trusted us to select the best vegan, natural and sustainable products for them and their home. I cannot thank you enough for your support over the past four years.We have all loved testing and selecting every single product for you and seeing our products posted out to you and your loved ones.
I hope we have introduced you to many small eco-friendly independent brands that you will continue to love.
To our brands It has been amazing to be part of the small sustainable business community and working with and alongside so many like-minded business owners. I will really miss this but hope to keep championing them in other ways.
To The Kind Store team I want to say a massive thank you to our team throughout the years. My Mum (the OG employee and cheerleader), Emily and our current team members Sammi and Abbi. Our two time gold Feefo customer service award is down to you two! I cannot thank you enough for your help and hard-work and wherever you go next, they will be lucky to have you.
I also wanted to take the time to celebrate the wins we have achieved over the years together:
- Making a sustainable lifestyle more accessible.
- Showcasing vegan only products and prioritising vegan only brands.
- Charity donations to Tower Hill Animal Stables, Sea Shepherd and Plastic Bank.
- Supporting and championing small independent businesses, that operate ethically considering both people and planet.
- Operating in line with the UN's Sustainable Development Goals and our Sustainable Business Plan.
- 17 months climate positive workforce/32.31t of carbon reduction.
- Planting 733 trees with Ecologi.
- Amazing customer feedback - We are 4.9 star rated on Feefo - thank you!
- Numerous press features and interviews in the likes of Forbes, Vegan Life and being interviewing on a handful of podcasts.
- Growing our Instagram followers organically and creating a space to share tips and advice on how to be kind to the world for a like-minded community of people.
- Supporting and sharing important campaigns and petitions that were happening to broaden the audience via social media and our newsletters, such as the Tampon Tax.
- Reducing landfill waste at thousands of customers homes - we will have a separate report on our Eco Achievements once we have looked at the data!
What I am also very proud of is always sticking by what we believe in, no matter what. For example:
- Boycotting Black Friday.
- Only stocking products that work - we tested every single one! There are many we tested and turned down.
- Only working with brands that aligned with our Sustainable Business Plan.
- Only stocking products that fit out criteria such as organic cotton, vegan ingredients etc. Again, there are many we turned down!
Since we are closing down, we are holding a final sale. From today, there are savings of up to 70% across the entire store. Every single product in our store is discounted. Our sale prices are the maximum savings we can stretch to, so now is the time to stock up, treat yourself or select gifts for a friend, as it really is 'until stocks last'.
Ongoing Support For Our Brands
We have secured some exclusive discount codes for you from some of our brands so that you can continue to support them once we have closed down. These will be posted online and sent out in a newsletter once we have closed down, so that any products you love you can continue to buy.
Once we have closed down, and that we have hopefully managed to clear our shelves of all remaining stock, we will be taking a break. Our website will still be live so that you can view the discount codes and all of our blogs and guides. I would personally still like to remain involved with the eco community and will be thinking about how best I can do this to continue championing small brands and to stay in contact with you all. Any updates will come via our existing newsletter and social media channels for now.
One last thank you to everyone who has supported us and followed our journey over the past four years. We will be in touch specifically with our subscription customers and anyone who has an unused gift card, plus we're emailing our top 20 best customers a special offer too. If you're a newsletter subscriber, sorry in advance for our email reminders over the coming month, we need to do all we can to clear our shelves to ensure all of our products will be used and not wasted. We'll be back with our final goodbye at the end of the month.
Tash & The Kind Store team xxx