The 7 Best Carrier Oils For Your Skin and Haircare Routine & How To Use Them
Carrier oils are naturally derived vegetable oils from the fatty portion of plant based sources such as seeds, kernels or nuts. Each carrier oil has their own unique properties and benefits. They may be used alone or with other oils to nourish your skin and with essential oils.
Find out how to blend them with other carrier oils and essentials here in our Guide to Carrier Oils and you want to find out more about Essential Oils, you can find out How To Use and Blend Essential Oils In Your DIY Cleaning & Beauty Routine.
The 7 Best Carrier Oils For Your Skin and Haircare Routine
Organic Argan Oil 100ml, £16.80
What is Argan Oil?
Argan oil is produced from the kernels of the argan tree and is found in Morocco.
What are the benefits of Argan Oil?
Acne, anti-ageing and fine lines, anti-inflammatory, boost skin and elasticity, heals skin infections, balancing face oil, shinier & healthier looking hair.
- Rich in essential fatty acids, antioxidants, Vitamin A & E.
- Penetrates the hair follicles and keeps the hair moisturised.
- May help reduce fine line & wrinkles.
- Helpful for breakouts and acne scars.
- May reduce stretch marks and improves skin hydration.
- Comedogenic rating: 0
Organic Jojoba Oil 100ml, £14.00
What is Jojoba Oil?
Jojoba is a plant that grows in North America. It thrives in harsh, desert climates. It also produces a nut with many healing properties. The nut can be made into an oil.
What are the benefits of Jojoba Oil?
Moisturises dry skin, soothes sensitive skin, improves acne, reduces stretch marks and scars, can be used under eye and for cleansing, can reduce wrinkles, antimicrobial and antifungal, calming baby oil, balancing face oil, moisturising body oil, healthier hair.
- Naturally hypoallergenic oil.
- Good for soothing eczema and psoriasis.
- Helps with acne and a good spot treatment.
- Balancing oil for both dry and oily skin.
- Rich in Vitamin E.
- Suitable for skin and hair.
- Comedogenic rating: 2
Sweet Almond Oil
Organic Sweet Almond Oil 100ml, £12.00
What is Sweet Amond Oil?
Sweet almond oil comes from a plant. Sweet almond produces kernels, that can also be eaten as we know as nuts. Sweet almond oil is made by pressing the kernels.
What are the benefits of Sweet Almond Oil?
Soothes and moisturises dry skin, reduces puffiness and under-eye circles, perfect for sensitive skin, improves stretch marks and scars, improves complexion and even skin tone, great as a baby oil, can be used as a face oil and a body oil.
- Extremely nourishing, it is rich in proteins, vitamin D & essential fatty acids.
- Excellent emollient.
- Anti-inflammatory & boosts immunity.
- Soften and re-condition the skin.
- Sooth dry and irritated skin.
- Great carrier oil.
- Comedogenic rating: 2
Cold Pressed Organic Apricot Oil
What are the benefits of Apricot Oil?
Dry skin, under eye and cleansing oil, face oil
- Rich in Vitamins A, C, E & K as well as Omega 3,6,9 essential fatty acids.
- Non greasy great face and body moisturiser for all skin types, including oily complexions.
- Supports healthy collagen and elastin keeping the skin looking soft and supple.
- Perfect as a carrier oil with an essential oil of your choice.
- Comedogenic rating: 2
Evening Primrose oil
Cold Pressed Organic Primrose Oil
What are the benefits of Primrose Oil?
Dry skin, acne, skin healing, face oil
- Contains Gamma Linoleic acid (GLA)
- Rich source of Omega 6 fatty acids, commonly used for women to relieve PMS symptoms.
- Known to be a good choice for skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and atopic dermatitis.
- Comedogenic rating: 2
Hemp Seed Oil
Cold Pressed Organic Hemp Seed Oil
What are the benefits of Hemp Seed Oil?
Dry skin, acne, skin healing, face oil, body oil
- Rich sources of Omega 3 fatty acids and Gamma Linoleic acids (GLA).
- Reduces inflammation, hydrates, regulates oil production.
- Locks in hydration and attracts moisture.
- Comedogenic rating: 0
Cold Pressed Organic Rosehip Seed Oil
What are the benefits of Rosehip Seed Oil?
Anti ageing and fine lines, stretch marks and scars, boost skin and elasticity, under eye and cleansing, face oil.
- Rich in Vitamin A, E and Essential omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
- Very dry & thin oil, it softens & hydrates the skin deeply.
- Great for sun damaged and pigmented skin.
- Helps treat scaly, irritated and dry skin conditions.
- Skin regeneration.
- Comedogenic rating: 1
DIY Beauty - Quick Buy
To make it easier for you, here are the best carrier oils for the following:
- Cleanser: Apricot, Jojoba, Rosehip.
- Face Oil (Oily/Acne prone skin): Argan, Evening Primrose, Hemp, Jojoba.
- Face Oil (dry skin): Apricot, Evening Primrose, Hemp, Jojoba., Sweet Almond.
- Face Oil (Mature skin): Argan, Rosehip.
- Sensitive Skin: Jojoba, Sweet Almond.
- Body/Bath Oil: Hemp, Jojoba, Sweet Almond.
- Massage: Sweet Almond , Apricot.
- Babies Skin: Sweet Almond.
- Hair: Argan, Jojoba.
How To Use Carrier Oils in Your Skincare Routine
1. Base Cleansing Oil: Ideally, the base of your oil cleansing mix should be an oil with cleansing and antibacterial properties such as Castor Oil. Start with 30% of your whole formulation. If you do not have Castor Oil, you can use Olive Oil (make sure it is a good quality extra-virgin organic olive oil).
2. Core Oil: Choose the oil that works best for your skin type. Add up to 50% of this oil to your cleansing oil base. Depending on your skin type, you could choose between hemp seed oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil etc. If you want, you can also mix two different oils at 25% each.
3. Luxury Oil: Finally, for the remaining 20% you could add a more luxurious oil with unique properties. These are normally more expensive but can truly top up and complement your oil blend, for example argan, jojoba, evening primrose oil or rosehip oil. If you prefer to stick to using only your base & core oil/s, simply up your Base & core oil percentage by 20%.
4. Essential Oil: This is also entirely optional and I would skip this step if you have very sensitive skin. If you want to include essential oils, add up to 1% maximum of essential oils of your total recipe. A 1% dilution is 6 drops per 30ml.
Choose essential oils based on their unique properties. Bear in mind that citrus essential oils contain photosensitizers, so make sure to wear them at night or avoid any sun exposure.
1. Base Oil: We recommend starting with 80% jojoba oil and then find the oil that will give you that glow, specific and suitable to your skin type. (See above for recommendations).
2. Core Oil: 20% based on your skip type and intended benefits.
3. Essential Oils: Essential oils boost the healing properties of your skin oil and have regenerating and toning properties. Not only are they easily absorbed into your skin, but they also improve the texture, fee and look of your skin! This is also entirely optional step and I would skip this step if you have very sensitive skin. If you want to include essential oils, add up to 2.5% maximum of essential oils of your total recipe. A 1% dilution is 6 drops per 30ml.
Body & Bath Oil
1. Base Oil: Choose 1 or 2 carrier oils. Either use a carrier oil on it's own or mix 50/50 with another based on your skin type and intended benefits.
2. Essential Oil: If you want to include essential oils, add up to 3% maximum of essential oils of your total recipe. A 1% dilution is 6 drops per 30ml.
Why we stock The Nature of Things
- They are a member of the main organic certification body in Ireland, Irish Organic Association.
- They are a member of 1% for the planet and so 1% of their total profits every year is donated to environmental causes.
- Sustainability is their top priority in everything they do.
- They only source their oils from producers who are
passionate about ensuring their distillingis top quality and use sustainable practices.
- Their producers work with local communities to look after the environment and support the local people.
- They are conscious about reducing their energy and water usage.
They use eco-friendly packaging that can be recycled: such as glass, aluminium and paper.
Why we stock The Nature of Things carrier oils
- Quality and sustainability always comes first with The Nature of Things and so this ensures that the carrier oils that we stock, you can trust are the best on the market for people, planet and animals.
- With The Nature of Things being a member of the Irish Organic Association this means that their products do not contain synthetic pesticides and fungicides and other chemicals that can be damaging to the local ecosystems.
- They have over 20 years of experience working with oils and so their carrier oils have been made with so much care and knowledge about what works best and most effectively.
- Overall, we think their carrier oils are one of the best, most eco-friendly and sustainable carrier oils you will find on the market
The Kind Store team try and test all products that we stock, so you can be certain that what you are buying is high quality, works well and loved by us. We source all products using our ethos via our sustainable principles, so you can trust that what you are buying is kind to animals, people and planet. We stock items from UK independent makers and suppliers to ensure our products are eco-friendly. Discover hundreds of vegan, natural, sustainable and cruelty-free products.