DIY Liquid Hand Soap Recipe
Want to reduce plastic packaging but prefer liquid soap over a traditional soap bar? Did you know that you can make your own liquid hand soap at home in the kitchen from a bar! I've teamed up with the lovely Elsa of @elsaannukka who has perfected a recipe! You can see more low waste and circular economy tips on Elsa's blog.
What you will need
- Sauce pan
- Measuring jug, preferable heat proof
- Metal spoon
- Glass pump bottle 250ml or 500ml
- Hob and a well-ventilated preparation area
Makes about 500ml of hand soap.
- ~60g bar soap grated (slice a section off your soap bar and then grate)
- 450-500ml of water
We would recommend our Bean & Boy castile soaps that are tried and tested and more specifically for cleaning but you can chose whichever soap that you fancy. Just don't go for a soap with added exfoliants, as these may clog up the pump attachment. Our favourite hand soap scents are:
- Grate your soap bar of choice and bring water to boil either in a kettle or a pan.
- Slightly reduce the heat and add grated soap into the pan and stir gently until the grated soap has dissolved into the hot water. This takes around 5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and let the soap cool down a bit.
- Pour the liquid soap into your pump bottle using a funnel, if needed or a heat resistant jug. And you’re good to go! If the soap hardens too much as it cools down, just add a bit of hot water, shake, and you are sorted.
- You will find the soap settles nearer the bottom so just give it a shake once in a while. Your liquid soap should last months.
The Kind Store team try and test all products that we stock, so you can be certain that what you are buying is high quality, works well and loved by us. We source all products using our ethos via our sustainable principles, so you can trust that what you are buying is kind to animals, people and planet. We stock items from UK independent makers and suppliers to ensure our products are eco-friendly. Discover hundreds of vegan, natural, sustainable and cruelty-free products.